In this activity, students create the interview themselves. Divide students into groups. Tell the groups that they must do the following:
- Decide on a famous person (living or dead) who they would like to interview.
- Nominate ONE person in that group to be the famous person.
- Once groups have nominated their famous people ask those people to come up to the front and form a new group.
- Explain that the famous people are all on a panel to be interviewed by the class, who are journalists.
- Give the journalists some time to think of questions. During this time the famous people can talk about what they are going to say.
- When the journalists are ready, begin moderating the interview by asking for questions.
- Once all the famous people have answered the questions send them back to their original seats.
- Now ask everybody to write a report with at least two things they remember from the interview. They should include examples of reported speech in their report. Ask students to compare their reports in pairs.
- Circulate and help. At the end, ask different pairs to read out their reports.